Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale
1942 - 1946
Contractor notified to proceed on field contract (Howland Construction Company).
Construction begins at the Main Station.
First building (Barracks), completed.
Station is officially commissioned. Officers in command: Capt. Donald E. Wilcox, USN as Commanding Officer; Cmdr. Joe Taylor, USN as Aviation Training Officer, and Lt. Commander Henry J. White as Executive Officer.
First training planes arrive: Seventeen TBF-1 Avengers aircraft.
First student pilots commence flight training.
First air crewman (35 Marines) report.
First pilots (10), complete training here.
Boat Facility begins operations (under Miami) .
Instructors assigned to each class.
Boat Facility is transferred to NAS Fort Lauderdale.
First British student pilots report.
First student pilot retained as instructor.
Instrument instruction begins.
Training capacity increased from 50 to 100 planes, and from 75 to 180 students.
West Prospect satellite field opens.
Pilot training program lengthened to 8 weeks.
The Executive Officer is now Lt. Moreau L. Stoddard, USNR.
Wing Shop is organized.
North Pompano satellite field opens.
"Live" torpedo drops begin.
Capt. Wilcox is detached; Capt. John L. Pratt, USN is the new Cmdr.
"USS Absecon" begins work as a target vessel for training exercises.
First WAVE reports: Ensign Gretchen Kramer.
First major revision of in-flight training syllabus.
Crash boat officer training starts at Boat Facility, Port Everglades.
Cmdr. Taylor is detached; Cmdr. Stephen Jurika, USN is now Aviation Officer.
Air crewmen Training Department is organized.
VTB OTU's #2 transferred from NAS Jacksonville; Mayport Torpedo Shop is consolidated with the shop here; also the "USS Absecon"begins full - time operations here.
Coast Guard personnel and dogs report for duty.
Executive Officer is detached; Lt. Commander M. Tharpe is now the Executive Officer.
Station placed under Miami for supplies and accounts.
93 -hour mandatory flight syllabus is adopted.
Enlisted men's raining started at Boat Facility.
Commanding Officer is detached; Capt. L. E. French is now commanding.
Air Plot is established.
Squadron Able completes training.
Aviation Training Officer is detached; Cdr. M. T. Hatcher is now AT Officer.
Expense Control Board is established.
10,669 flying hours; maximum to date.
Present 96-hour flight training syllabus adopted.
Executive Officer is detached; Lt. Cdr. L. W. Alford, USNR is now XO.
formal acceptance by the Allies, of Nazi Germany's unconditional surrender of its armed forces.
Japan signs unconditional surrender, ending World War II.
Flight 19 - The Lost Patrol: a crew of 14 men in 5 TBM Avenger planes disappear over the Bermuda Triangle.
Training continues at NAS Fort Lauderdale throughout 1946.
The base is officially de-commissioned. 200+ buildings are abandoned, but some are used as classrooms.
-1989: Walter Houghton gets permission to build the Navy Park on the east side of the FAA tower. It was completed in 1990.
-1989: Bob Jenny paints his mural "On Final Approach"at the U.S. Naval Surface Warfair Center (The old JOBQ Building #15).
-October 3, 1992: President George H. W. Bush visits the U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Center to sign and date Jenny's mural.
- 1998: The mural is dismantled and relocated to the Link Trainer Building #8.
-May 20, 1998: The Link Trainer Building #8 is added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
-1999: Broward County Commissioner Lori Nance Parrish locates a $200,000 grant and is able to save the building from demolition.
-1999 -2000: The Link Trainer Building #8 is moved (with Jenny's mural inside) to its current location at 4000 Perimeter Road.
-October 15, 2005: U.S. Rep. Clay Shaw, R -Fort Lauderdale sponsors H. Resolution 500
NAS Fort Lauderdale Museum Founder
Chronology of Events
- November 9, 1925 Allan McElhiney is born in Lynn, Massachusetts.
-December 7, 1941: the United States enters WWII.
-1942: Allan joins the U.S. Navy at the age of seventeen and serves abroad the USS Asheville from 1942 to 1946 in Korean war until 1953.
-October 1st 1942: NAS Fort Lauderdale is established.
-December 5, 1945: Flight 19 - The Lost Patrol. A crew of 14 men in 5 TBM Avenger planes disappear over the Bermuda Triangle. A rescue mission PBM sea plane is sent from NAS Banana River in Melbourne and also disappears with a crew of 13 men.
-1947: Allan marries Carolyn Mulock of York Beach, Maine. Parents to: Stephen, Donna, Deborah, Glenn, and Diane. Grandparents to: Aaron, Jakob, Troy, Stephanie, Jason, Justin, Glen, Dylan, Allan the lll and Mitchel. Great - grandparents to: Brittney, Ivan, Kaitlynn, Luke, Jack, Jordan, and Allan the IV.
-1970's: Allan joins the Fort Lauderdale Navy League Council and a later becomes Director and Chairman of the Fort Lauderdale Navy League Sea Cadets.
-1978: While giving a tour of the Navy grounds with Steve Sedilo, Allan forms the idea of starting a memorial service for Flight 19.
-1979: The Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale Historical Association begins to take shape, with 4 members.